Thursday, March 21, 2013

Just Getting Started

*WARNING* Graphic photos of veterinary surgery in this post.

In recent months, I've been doing a lot of observing and shadowing of veterinary technicians at various shelters and animal hospitals in addition to logging A LOT of volunteer hours.  (Hopefully, I'll be in class this coming June.  The program only accepts a maximum of 20 students a semester, wish me luck!) These photos are some of what I've observed so far, in the places that I'm allowed to take my camera.

These were taken at the VCA down the street from me.  Here is Daisy, coming out of her anesthetic.


Little Man is being prepped for dental surgery.


Dr. Deltove takes x-rays.


An EKG machine.


These are intubating tubes, the techs measure each animal for their own tube.


Cleaning canine anal glands is definitely one of the less glamorous chores to this job.






And these were taken at The Animal Doctor.  I'll be there every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for the next couple of months.  I'm especially excited about this opportunity; they specialize in exotics and equine veterinary medicine.  More photos to come.

I couldn't take my camera into the surgery room, but I did get to scrub up and watch the whole procedure from inside the room.  The patient was a little fox eared dog named Shelby, who was having bone chips taken out of her knee.


This is Dozer, he just had surgery on his left ACL and was being comforted by a tech as he came to.  He comes back soon to have the other one fixed up.


Does this face remind you of anyone?


No comments:

Post a Comment